Alien Surf Girls
Andrew J. Morley
|Country of origin||Australia|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||26|
|Producer(s)||Jonathan M. Shiff|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Original channel||Network Ten (Australia)|
TeenNick (United States)
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Original airing||29 May 2012 (US)|
22 June 2012 (Australia)
Alien Surf Girls is an Australian television program for children, pre-teens and teenagers. It was filmed on location at the Gold Coast in 2011. The 26 x half hour series is produced by Jonathan M. Shiff for Network Ten in association with Nickelodeon Australia and German public broadcaster ZDF. The series will be broadcast in Australia on Network Ten under the title Lightning Point. The series' U.S.premiere was on May 29, 2012.
Two humanoid aliens Zoey and Kiki-two irrepressible girls from another galaxy and world called Lumina- become castaways in the quiet, Australian seaside town of Lightning Point after losing their spaceship. They recruit a local girl named Amber to keep them undercover. But the whole town is abuzz with the sighting of U.F.O.s and the girls soon realize that they may not be the first extraterrestrial visitors on planet Earth.
On a stormy night in the sleepy surf town of Lightning Point, a bright light streaks across the sky and plummets into the nearby forest. A spaceship! Inside are teen aliens Zoey and Kiki, on a forbidden mission to Earth. But when their spaceship explodes unexpectedly the girls are stranded, and their real adventure begins. Coming from Lumina, a barren, waterless planet, Zoey and Kiki are entranced by Earth – especially the ocean. On their first day in Lightning Point the girls head down to the beach and watch local surfie girl Amber ripping up the waves. They’ve got to try it! And they soon discover they have natural surfing talent – especially determined Zoey, who is a real whizz on the board. When Amber witnesses their incredible alien abilities, Zoey and Kiki decide to let her in on the secret, and the girls quickly become good friends and allies. An only child of divorced parents, Amber loves hanging out with the girls, but she wishes they could keep a lower profile. All this glowing, turning into balls of light and having strange, alien effects on everything around them could really get the girls – and her! – into deep trouble. Fitting in is hard when you are from out of town, let alone outer space. It means not only controlling their Luminan abilities, but also learning the etiquette of Lightning Point’s teenage world.
With Amber’s help they move into her place, get kitted-out in the latest surf clothes, enroll at high school and start hanging at the local diner. But their arrival in Lightning Point still causes a stir. Zoey’s board skills attract the attention of surf king, Brandon. Although neither of them will admit it, they have a definite chemistry, which really winds up Brandon’s queen-bee girlfriend, Madison. She’ll do everything she can to make life hard for Zoey and Kiki. Amber’s best friend and Brandon’s brother, Luca, is also onto them. He’s a dedicated UFO nut and he’s noticed strange lights in the sky and crop circles in the forest nearby. And when Luca begins to suspect that there is something strange about sweet-natured Kiki, she is torn between their blossoming romance and keeping her true identity secret. And it’s not just Luca who is suspicious - it is up to Amber to make sure her mother, Senior Sergeant Olivia Mitchell, doesn’t find out the girls’ alien nature either. The girls try sending an SOS home during a lightning storm, but instead of contacting a rescue mission their beacon uncovers unexplained alien phenomena from the past – and suddenly the whole town is closing in on them. Zoey and Kiki soon discover that there is more to Lightning Point than meets the eye. They are not the first intergalactic visitors – and their trip to Earth may have been part of a darker plot. When Luca discovers the truth about Kiki he decides to help the girls – but this means lying to his adopted younger brother Brandon. After years of mocking Luca’s interest in aliens, Brandon has become a believer, and is on the hunt. When Brandon discovers that aliens abducted his birth parents, his interest takes a malevolent turn – he won’t stop till he gets revenge. But there’s more to his parents’ mysterious disappearance than Brandon realises. And he soon discovers that he himself may have alien origins. As Brandon and Zoey grow even more romantically closer together and she begins to help him in his journey of discovery, Seargent Mitchell becomes suspicious of Brandon. Lightning Point is no longer safe for the teen aliens. But when the time comes to go, will these two alien human-looking teenagers be able to say goodbye to a planet as amazing as their home world Lumina?
- Amber Mitchell (Philippa Coulthard) - Amber grew up in Lightning Point and her life was pretty normal until two alien girls from the planet Lumina turned to her for help. Zoey and Kiki are unusual, unpredictable, and completely unaware how to fit in on Earth. Despite Amber's efforts to help them keep a low profile, Zoey and Kiki seem to attract attention everywhere they go. Amber lives with her mum, who works as a police sergeant, and their dog, Piper. She's best friends with Luca, but she doesn't share his obsession with aliens. When she's not teaching Zoey and Kiki how to act more human, Amber teaches little kids how to surf.
- Zoey (Lucy Fry) - Zoey is smarter, wilder, and more impulsive than most Earth people, so she doesn't exactly blend into the crowd. She wants to be in control of every situation, but that's tricky on an unfamiliar planet. Zoey is naturally competitive, and she can't resist a challenge, so this daredevil surfer pushes herself to the limit on the waves. She instantly catches the attention of Brandon, the local surf star, and makes her first Earth enemy—his girlfriend, Madison.
- Kiki (Jessica Green) - Kiki is new in town and new on the planet. Sensitive and curious, she's fascinated by Lightning Point, and wants to experience everything it has to offer. She loves connecting with nature (especially on a surfboard), and getting to know the local creatures, human and otherwise. She wants to understand what it really means to be human. Kiki often feels homesick for Lumina, but when she starts to fall for Amber's best friend, Luca, she realizes that staying on Earth a little longer might not be so bad. Kiki isn't the only Luminan stranded on Earth... she has Zoey to keep her company.
- Brandon Benedict (Andrew James Morley) - Outgoing and popular, Brandon is sort of a local celebrity. He's the best surfer in town—although Zoey's arrival in Lightning Point could change that. Brandon is fascinated by the mysterious new girl and her impressive surfing skills, and his girlfriend Madison takes an instant dislike to Zoey. Brandon teases his brother Luca for believing in UFOs and space aliens. Nothing like that could ever happen in Lightning Point... could it?
- Luca Benedict (Kenji Fitzgerald) - Luca is a bit of an outsider in Lightning Point. He doesn't surf and he has a keen interest in extraterrestrial life, which makes him an easy target for Brandon and his mates. Amber is the only person who really understands Luca; they have been friends and neighbors since they were little. When Zoey and Kiki arrive, Luca witnesses signs of alien activity, and becomes determined to investigate. But as Luca and Kiki grow closer, Luca's conviction about the presence of aliens becomes stronger; little does he know that the girl he is falling for is from outer-space!
- Madison (Paige Houden) - Madison considers herself the hottest girl in Lightning Point, so she's not thrilled when two beautiful surfers named Kiki and Zoey show up on her turf. Madison is used to getting what she wants, and she's not about to let anything threaten her place in the social hierarchy. When Madison senses sparks between her boyfriend, Brandon, and Zoey, she'll do anything to make Zoey look bad... but she has no idea she's picking a fight with a space alien.
Recurring and Supporting characters
- Olivia Mitchell (Simone Bennett-Smith) - Olivia is the local Police Sergeant and Amber's mother.
- Liam (Reece Milne) - Liam is Brandon's friend, and enemies with Amber, Kiki and Zoey.
- Gina (Da Yen Zheng) - Gina is Madison's best friend.
- Mia (Lia Fisher) - Mia is the owner of the local diner.
- Josh (Erin Mullally) - Josh is a boy who Amber has a crush on. He has a little brother named Sean.
- Mr. Phillipson (Anthony Standish) - Mr. Phillipson is a high school teacher.
- Piper the Dog (Java) - Piper is the local police dog and Amber's pet.
- Bandit the Horse (Elmo) - Bandit is Luca's chestnut horse. Kiki finds a strong friendly attraction and liking to him.